Thursday 15 February 2018

Happy Valentine's Day

O.K.  ... apologies ...  not very original .... and a day late to boot ... but there is a reason. Life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes.

I am laid low with bronchitis. Friends had visited me from overseas for a long weekend of skiing (the snow is amazing this year). Unfortunately one of them showed up with a bad cough, which she said had followed the 'flu and had persisted now for two weeks. Great. With friends like that who needs enemies.

Sure enough on the second night I was awake at 4am coughing violently with blocked sinuses and headache.

To add to matters, the trip back home on Tuesday, which should have taken 4 hours, took 7 hours because of a motorway closure following an accident. It was 11PM when a very sick and exhausted Hanna arrived home.

M had not gone skiing this weekend. She was very concerned for me as I travelled back, as she realized how sick I was. She stayed up late to help me unpack the car.

So on Valentine's day I dragged myself out of the bed early to go to a doctor that M had contacted. Getting a doctor as a recent immigrant in Germany is no easy matter. I am not "on the books" of any local doctor and they are all full. Ageing population profile I suppose.

Anyway, one doctor agreed to see me as an exception when M informed them that I had a fever (not strictly true, but I was running a high temperature).  Antibiotics and a week off work were prescribed. Back home, I slept a good part of Valentine's day thereafter.

When she got home, M made a big pot of delicious homemade soup for me, so that I don't have to cook during the days ahead. There is enough to last for a few days.

Later she gave me lacy black underwear with a red bow as my Valentine's day present. She also gave me a padded bra (pictures to follow at some stage).

This is the first time she has bought me a padded one. She could see I was shocked. She said simply, we have to "up things" a notch or two from time to time. She had me try it on. I had cleavage! 😲 "Wear the right sweater and people will not really notice",  she said, "but you will be wearing it". Unlike the episode with the blue jacket, I simply thanked her this time.

Speaking of the blue sleeveless jacket, I wore it out in public to the restaurant each evening at the weekend. My mini rebellion, it seems, is behind me. 😳

So on the health front, I feel a bit stronger today, despite still coughing a lot. I now have a very sore throat from the constant coughing though.

The last time that I was a week off work, ill, was all of 25 years ago, so I can't complain. I have had a very good run, on the health front.

Hanna




2 comments:

  1. Your Blog is a wonder, a breath of authentic air. Continue like this. Regards Juan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan. It is great to get such a comment. In a strange way, we keep the blog for ourselves as much as for others. We have no particular agenda at all, except to describe our life, particularly as it relates to our FLR.

      Best regards M & Hanna

      Delete

This post is all about....

Well, if I am honest, I have no idea. M just ordered me to write a new post. I had suggested that she write a post as I am quite certain tha...